Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Book Review: Fail

Have you ever had a book that everyone seems to love and cherish however you've never read it and even when you tried to read it never finished?

That is what happened to me with The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger last fall. I tried reading it, got nearly half way through it and got so sick and tired of Holden Caulfield that I stopped reading.

Now, I was reading this book as a 20-something, married woman. I'm settled in my life, though I was unhappy in my job last fall and that was a great personal struggle for me, I was for the most part content and happy with my life. Accepting of the place God had me in and striving to grow in there. Maybe if I had read this book as a teenager or even when I was in college, I might have loved this book or even finished it. I could see the appeal of the story. There were times at the beginning when I could identify with Holden from remembering how I felt as a teenager.

So, die-hard Catcher fans, I'm not bashing the book, what I read was good. However, it just wasn't the book for me. Everyone has their own tastes, interests and different life-stages they are going there. Maybe someday I will give it another try and be able to finish it and love it the way so many have over the years.

My interest in reading it was lit by watching a documentary on Salinger on Netflix. Though, I never finished that documentary either...

No comments:

Post a Comment