Monday, May 7, 2012

The Return of the Cone of Shame

So, a few weeks ago, Jon and I had an unusual night off together and decided to go out for dinner! We haven't had a Friday night together since our anniversary back in November. I not thinking left a bag of almost brand new dog treats on the kitchen table and our little leaper, Duncan got on the table and ate the entire bag of treats in the hour we were gone!!

Okay not a big deal, right? Wrong! This will get a little TMI so just beware!

Duncan then became  all "backed-up" and when he finally went to the bathroom it was runny and diarrhea-y. Which apparently is not good for any dog because there are things called "anal sac's" right inside of their rectum. These sac's fill with the dog's fluid scent which are empty when they have sound poohs. So, if the dog has runny poohs they don't empty and they keep getting filled and eventually pop out. Which happened to Duncan, it looked like a hemorrhoid but it is not, its very rare for dogs to get hemorrhoids.

Now, it came out Sunday morning following Duncan's binge, and by 4:00p Sunday evening it had popped!!! And it was bleeding and mucus-y! I didn't know what to do and I started crying and put a doggie diaper on him (yes they make diapers for dogs), and put him in his travel crate, so I could figure out what to do.

Jon, was at work and I had to leave to go to work for a few hours as well that night, YAY! But I went online and found a site (I can't remember what now) that said to clean the wound with a warm water and hydrogen peroxide solution, so I did that and put him in his big crate (aka his bedroom) with a blanket and towel, so I could wash them later and the Cone-of-Shame! Since, this can become seriously infected if not treated.

Everything else said to take him to the vet immediately! So, the next morning, we took D-man to the vet and got him some antibiotics and doggie aspirin for the pain, and I proceeded to swaddle him in a blanket and the Cone-of-Shame for about a week.

He is doing much better but it was soo scary for me!

This was a warning tale to people in the Puppyhood, especially small dog breeds, apparently this is more common with small dogs! Again this blog is about life's little challenges and this one was a toughy for me until I figured out what to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment