Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What is my design style?

If you are anything like me, I have had a hard time defining my decorating/design style. I have flipped and I have flopped back and forth and have stalled in progressing decorating my home. (The other problem is I have no money to decorate my home, having replaced the windows put a huge dent the decorating fund). And while waiting not so patiently, at times, for the bathroom remodel to move forward, I have had a chance to think about what I really want to see in my home.

After glancing at my Pinterest board, DreamHome-Ideaway, I believe I can now define the look I want for my home:

Country Chic!

Now to me this means a more modern/glam version of country. I love bright, light colors (mainly whites, grays, blues, browns and soft pinks with pops of bold colors). I appear to lean more towards browns than blacks for accents.

I will need to balance that since my guest bedding is black but that can be my black accent room! I still like the look of black accents but on the whole browns seem to be winning.

I like clean lines more often so no super chunky or heavy looking pieces, unless its a chair or couch. Though I do like delicate detailing which can lead to a touch of whimsy!

I can really say that I have stalled on decorating for a few reasons:

1. Budget - its just not in the cards right now, which is good because the big reason is:
2. Styles have changed - meaning that in the 3 years we've had our home, I have grown up and my tastes have changed.

I never realized how much I would change in the last 3 years but its true; thank you mother and sister's for warning me this would happen. When I was in high school, I heard my mom say that no one should get married before they were 25 because you do so much growing up in your early twenties. Now, I did not listen and got married at 22 (with my parents blessing and assuring them I wouldn't rush into having a baby too soon). And I can say that mom was right, just by looking at how my decorating and design styles have changed in the past 3 years.

So, now that I feel more confident in decorating its just waiting for the budget to catch up! But I am so glad that I did not rush into making big, expensive purchases on decorating, with the exception of the windows! That needed to be done first.

How have you evolved over the years in both personality and design?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment