Thursday, September 20, 2012

E.L. James = Not Original


If you have read 50 Shades of Grey you know that E.L. James claims to have been inspired by the Twilight Saga.  I freely admit that I read the trilogy and I loved every minute of reading the trilogy 5 times back-to-back. I love when authors pull in other pop culture references that I absolutely love!

Like in 11/22/63, Stephen King mentions that his main character, Jake, on his first trip into the past has him watching The Long, Hot Summer at the drive-in! I love this movie so much, for me it’s a childhood classic because it is my mom’s favorite movie.

And I love that in 50 Shades, E.L. James brings in Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier. I love the movie and was finally able to read the entire book a few years ago (it took a few tries; it gets a little dry in the middle). Both are great classics of British Literature and film. And everyone should read the book and watch the movie! I mean it’s a Hitchcock classic!

Over this past weekend, I was sick and decided to watch the movie Rebecca, only to realize that E.L. James must have also been pulling inspiration from this along with the Twilight Saga! Why else would she reference it! But in watching the movie, I realized that James is not original, she only added shock value to a classic story already told.

Making my case:

Maxim de Winter is the older, cold, hard, wealthy man who has a terrible secret and by some miracle crosses paths with a young, poor, naive girl who he is condescending toward and happens falls in love with her at the speed of light! And this girl is able to help transform him and melt away he’s hard veneer. The young, shy girl becomes a strong woman throughout the story.

Mmmm…seems a bit fishy. 50 Shades of Grey will never be in the same league as Rebecca! Rebecca paints a detailed, specific setting in Manderley with vivid imagery and originality that 50 Shades will never have. 50 Shades is a pop culture hit but has no real substance. However, its great fluff/smut reading.

Nice try, E.L. James but I am on to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment