Monday, September 17, 2012

Finding a Job... Part #Whatever

Here I am, 2 years out of college and still completely stumped on how to get that elusive full-time, career builder/starter job. Granted, I do blame myself a lot for this, not taking the right classes in college, not asking the right questions, not paying attention, not working on my own to develop skills.

As a Ag Comm major I am having a hard time selling myself to perspective employers. I haven't been keeping up with educating myself, but seriously, I can't sell myself! Look at this blog, I still only have one actual follower. Is anyone even listening to me? Does anyone care?

I know that God has me where he wants me and he has a plan for me, but with this world we live in its hard to see the future and how secure it will be. I am stressed about this but I need to remember to "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you," 1 Peter 5:7.

I finally have gotten the courage up to send my cover letter and resume to marketing companies in my area, only to realize that most request a "creative portfolio." What the WHAT? I've worked in a church office as the assistant for 2 years, I don't have a portfolio! So, my courage has yet again disappeared, I dont' even know where to start developing a portfolio that might actually land me an interview, let alone a job.

There are just so many factors to this finding a job, that I feel that I wish I could go back and redo college sometimes just to seek out better/more resources than I did. However, I do us my tale to caution any Jr. and Senior High kids I actually get to have a convo with. If I had know what I do know I would go back and warn my Jr./High School and collegiate self about what I really need to focus on.

To bad I can't go speak to High School students about the pitfalls that can happen starting in high school if you don't really plan careful enough for post-college life in finding a career.

No comments:

Post a Comment