Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Book Review: Here We Go Again

So, I finally got sucked into the "Divergent" books series by Veronica Roth. I went to my local library, got on the waiting list for the first book; which came back a few days later. I sprinted up to the library before it closed on a rainy Monday after getting the email and began.

It took me a few chapters to really get into and then I was hooked and I devoured it! A few days later when I was finished, I went back to the library and got on the lists for the next book, it was going to be a long weekend of waiting. Until my sister-in-law, said "I have those books if you want to borrow them." The book heavens smiled upon me! I got the next two books and began reading them.

I'd say the order in which I liked them are, Divergent (1), Allegiant (3), and then Insurgent (2). Now, I was put off going into it because of the hype of the movie and it being yet another post-apocalyptic type series. Hello, Katniss? But I will say I enjoyed that there were no supernatural beings, totally think that that is totally over done.

I really like first-person perspective reads. I did enjoy the 3rd book because it brings more than one perspective in, though it took me longer to read because I would get confused on whose perspective it was. There were parts where the story seems to drag on and some really good/interesting plot twists I didn't see coming. I did cry. Jon literally came home from work the night I finished the series to me sobbing. So, you are forewarned. The plot twists are so good I'm going to stop because I don't want to give anything away.

Definitely, worth the read despite the hype of the series and books. I'm only slightly sickened by the fact that the author, Veronica Roth and I are the same age. Where did that kind talent and drive gene go within me? Seriously?

No comments:

Post a Comment