Friday, August 29, 2014

Book Review: Rewind

Rewind to my Senior year of High School and my British Lit class. We had to read a book by a British author. Having older siblings I knew this was coming, I had helped my sister with her report when she was a Senior on "A Room with a View" by E.M. Forster. The semester before this class I read "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. It's a small school so the teacher kept track of siblings and what they had read, so you couldn't not read the same book as your sibling. But I was prepared, until I got to class and the teacher said that too many had chosen "Pride and Prejudice." Ugh! I would have to start all over and pick a new book to read, I chose "Jane Eyre" by Emily Bronte.

I just finished re-read "Jane Eyre" this week. Prompted by Netflix and one of the newer movie versions of this book staring Michael Fassbender and Mia Wasikowska as the lead characters.

And as I remembered from way back when I first read this book, the first half is very hard to get through but the second half flies. If you can get through the first half, it is totally worth it for the second! Warning: the conversations and descriptions can get a bit wordy and hard to follow, at least for myself.

The title character of Jane Eyre, is wonderful! She is not a beautiful, well off girl. She is "... poor, obscure, plain, and little..." She is one who has had to fight to survive against prejudices and worked hard to reach and grab for her independence. She respects herself and the law of God.

I did not realize how much this story is about her relationship with God. The differences in what I noticed now and not all those years ago, show my growth in life and understanding is amazing!

I would recommend this book for anyone! But mostly for young women who are facing social pressures! Jane remained strong and true to herself and the Lord she survives throughout the book but still struggled with temptations and finding her own life's mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment